Labels

The Sacred Land: Tibet

The trip to Tibet has been nothing but wonderful. It left me with beautiful memories of the place although the culture has very severely diluted which I feel rather disturbed. I was there in April 2013 but it took me this long to update my blog – simply because I cannot seem to keep my blog to a page long and it always takes me a long time to complete a review :)
The traveler information for visitors to Tibet was rather confusing but I read from several sites that all visitors must travel in group, guided by a tour guide so free & easy travel is not possible.  All the local travel agencies told us the same information so I reckoned that this must be true given the strict guideline of the Chinese. After comparing packages, I ended with ASA holidays travel agency in Singapore. I am not a big fan of tour agencies but given the travel restrictions in Tibet, I have no alternative.  Later, I found out that it is now possible to travel without a group as long as you engaged a local tour guide & driver. We met two European ladies along the way who told us this and I felt cheated following my tour group. Fortunately, I paid about SGD2, 000 for the 9 days package which I think is very reasonable.
The 9 days seemed a little too short since we spent 3 days in China itself. Pardon me as I am used to referring Tibet as an independent country.  Departing on a red-eyed flight, I arrived in Chengdu from Singapore on day 1 early morning. We were able to check in shortly after our breakfast at Holiday Inn Express which was great.  We had some time to wash up before heading off to the Panda Base. The pandas are really lovely (most animals are) and this is my first time seeing so many of them up-close. They are very adorable but lazy animals – many of them are simply lazing and sleeping on the trees; while some are busy chewing the bamboo shoots. There are several enclosed ones behind the cages and it seems like these are adults and can be aggressive. I wish they are out from the cages L
My tour group consists of about 20 pax – age ranges from 10 years to 90 years so I can’t expect the group to go fast. We spend around 2 hours at the Panda base before heading to the old alleys of Chengdu (Kuan Zai Xiang which means Broad-Narrow street). I like this street – filled with quirky shops and interesting cafes. I found a nice Starbucks outlet back in the alley which has very interesting architecture. The day ended by the late noon since we all had a flight overnight flight and we need sufficient rest before departing the next day. We spent evening nearby the hotel and ended in a yucky cheap massage place which I regretted. There were many street food and stalls nearby so packed some noodles back to the hotel room.  Happy with day 1.
The next day, we took a domestic flight to Nyingchi, located in Southeast Tibet.  The domestic airport is very small but surrounded by beautiful scenery. We hopped on a bus which has about 30 seats so it was very spacious and comfortable for the group. The bus was surprisingly well-maintained and clean too – I went with the expectation that the bus is going to be old and dirty. The rides were not that bumpy too and it was great viewing the scenery along the ride.


After checking into the Fairyland Hotel (ha!), we headed toward Lulang forest. The view on the way was magnificent and we stopped to snap some pictures against the Glacier Mountains. The Lulang Forest – so called Tibet’s Shangri-La is covered with green forestation which was amazing except for the thick fog, making it challenging to capture pictures. The place was crowded with Chinese tourist. The air is fresh but there were far too many smokers polluting the fresh air. I am unsure why they do not ban smoking in this place.


I was very fortunate to be assigned with a passionate Tibetan tour guide.  He has a Tibetan name which sounded like “Jimmy” which was what we called him along the trip.  Jimmy is very knowledgeable with the Tibetan and Chinese culture since he studied in China before becoming a tour guide. He is accompanied by a Chinese tour guide so he tried to explain sensitive situations in English which I appreciated very much. He speaks good English and Mandarin too.
 
Day 3 is the visit to the holy lake – Draksum Tso. The lakes and its surrounding views are beautiful and the site is also connected to the semi-mythical ruler of then Kham region and Guru Rinpoche. We got to the entrance and had to wait before we are allowed to attend. Coaches and personal vehicles are not allowed into the park directly. Everyone had to take the ecological tram which aims to protect the environment and clean air. The tram was filled with mostly tourists and some locals – some spinning the wheel religiously while waiting for the tram and on the tram. It was a short ride to the lake. The green lake is very beautiful against the clear blue skies. I wish some tourists will stop screaming in my ears as I enjoyed the beauty of the lake against the glacier-mountains. Also, I wish they would stop throwing huge chucks of bread for the fishes.  I thought it was hilarious when the fishes swarmed away as fast as they could when the huge chucks of bread were thrown into the lake – even the fishes think that was scary.  The place is crowded since it was a religious day for the locals.  There is a temple up the pave but it was too crowded to step in. There were wooden statues of the man and woman’s private parts outside the temple which seem to symbolize the origin of mankind. Outside the temple, you can see personal bags left outside casually. The trust among the Tibetan is very strong and they believe that nothing material is valuable.
There was money left on the trees which are believed to be sacred.  These are offerings and no local will steal them. There were also the white religious clothes hanging on those trees.  Our guide pointed out at one of the areas downhill where people buried infants who have passed away. In Tibet, other common burial practices are “water-burial” – this is a reason to why Tibetans do not consume seafood (another reason is that they believe that eating seafood is equivalent to mass-killing. Why consume 10 shrimps when you can consume a yak with 10 other person? – very logical theory and I feel bad); dog burial (common for hill-tribes where they fed the dead to the dogs which is a way of returning the leftover back nature).
There were many locals having picnic too and one family were very nice to offer us their food. It was like a flour cake (or Roti-Prata as we know it). It tasted a little blend but we are supposed to dip into the milk or sugar. The locals seem to be enjoying their peaceful moments despite the crowds of tourists passing through them.  
On the way back, we stopped by the Mi-La hill which is at an altitude of 5013metres above sea level. I was lucky not to be suffering from any high altitude sickness since I was on medication which definitely is effective. The locals approached us to purchase the colored religious flags. I bought one and wrote names of my beloved ones onto the flags, which they hung up at the rocks with the other flags. By hanging the flags up nearer to the sky, they believe that Buddha will be able to answer our prayers.
Day 4 is finally the exciting visit to the Potala Palace. This city is different from what I have imagined. It has been developed by the Chinese and loses its touch of culture. I cannot decide if this is good or bad for the Tibetan. Lying amid the developed city is the famous Potala Palace. To me, it has lost its religious touch and is now an attraction for tourists.
There is a schedule to enter and exit the palace (1 hour or 2 hours restriction). It was a challenge climbing up the stairs of the Potala Palace given the high altitude in Lhasa and air gets really thin. I found myself panting very hard after walking only 5 steps up. Everyone had to take it slow in Tibet. I heard that there were people who fainted while climbing up the stairs and did not manage to make it up. I made it up there successfully and I was so thankful! The palace is beautiful but many parts of the palace has been restricted due to whatever reasons.  I was slightly disturbed by some monks in the palace who were busy counting the monies that they have collected from donations.  I also managed to see the coffins of the past Dalal Lama which also stored all their belongings – so the coffins of those who lived longer are much larger than those who passed away as a child. Overall, it was a good experience visiting the palace. I wish the religious touch remains and it will be more meaningful especially for the Buddhists.
We moved on to the Jokhang Monastery which is also in the center of Lhasa.  The architecture of this monastery is beautiful especially with the colors.  I got a good view of the Bahkhor Square when I get to the 2nd level of the temple.  There are many tourists here as well and certain areas are restricted. The place is gorgeous but it has been rebranded as a tourist attraction like the Potala Palace. 

 
We departed from Lhasa to Shigaste on day 5. Along the way, we passed by Yamzo Yumco lake (Baidi lake0, wedged between 2 mountains.  Yamzo Yumco means “Swan” as the largest freshwater lake in Tibet is wedged between the mountains like a swan spanning its wings. The view was amazing. We stopped for picture-taking and there were many locals with their yaks and dogs to attract tourists for a low price. The Tibetans dogs are huge but adorable. They look pretty sad so I decided to go pat them and to take some pictures with them (which they probably hate it). We drove on and stopped by the beautiful lake for some pictures before heading for Kharolo Glacier for more pictures. Kharolo is a spectacular location for pictures of the glacier mountains – this is probably my favorite place in Tibet.
 
 The next day, we visited the Tashi-Lhunpo Monstatery, the largest monastery of the Tibetan Buddhist yellow sect and the seat of the Panchen Lama. The stupa of the 10th Panchen Lama can been seen in the temple. There were some VIP during our visit and I was told that it was the Panchen Lama from Beijing.  I was not impressed – and anyone who knows the history will not be impressed too.   This place was average – most tourists only.
Barkhor Street was under renovation so we were not able to shop on day 4. This made many of us really angry as all of us had wanted to buy some souvenirs outside of Potala Palace and we were told not us as the prices are expensive. The tour guide did not tell us that Barkhor street was under renovation! I decided to create a fuss out of this by gathering the agreement from other tour members as I have several items to buy on my wish-list. In the end, the guide promised to bring us to a souvenir shop on a last day which is not on the itinerary.
 
As promised, the guide did bring us to the souvenir shop on our last day in Tibet. I was disappointed as the store is owned by a group of Chinese so all the items in there are probably made in China (not made by the Tibetan). I did manage to find a few stuffs in the shop and it was cheap. On my wish list was the spinning wheel – both handheld and for display kinds. I bought the display ones in another shop previously (one of the shops outside the restaurant where we had our lunch).  My most interesting purchase in this shop was a horn – which is used commonly during the war. I gave it away as a gift to someone who could appreciate such “antique”.
We stopped by a running river between the mountains for some pictures and headed back to the hotel. It was a massage evening and the guide arrange for us to go for foot massage which I would not miss. There was a restaurant beside the massage parlour which was very disturbing – it was the rabbit steamboat restaurant and there was a cage of live rabbits placed outside. This is very very very disturbing to me :(
Day 7 is the day to embark on a journey on the world’s highest railway running on the Tibet- Qinghai Plateaus - The extraordinary scenic and unforgettable train. Initially, I was worried about the train being extremely dirty and I will be bored to tears during the 22 hours ride.  Time passed so quickly on the train and I wished that we had more time on the train. The ride was smooth and sceneries were magnificent – mountains; lakes; grasslands; herds (you name it). The skies were clear and blue and it was beautiful. I like the quiet moments whereby I sat by the window and stared out at the views for hours. The cabin was nice and clean- which I did not quite expect given some reviews I have read.  This was probably because we were in the 1st class cabin with only 4 bedded (soft bedded). I am not sure of the differences but it seems like there are hard bedded in other lower classes.  The small but cosy cabin consists of 2 double-decker bed. I was fortunate to be allocated to the lower deck so I am totally incapable of getting up and down from the upper deck. I tried and almost could not get down which made a mockery out of me! We were almost to share the cabin with two other ladies but they switched cabins to be with their families.  We ended up with two middle-aged men from Malaysia – there was no issue since they came in a huge group so they were in other cabins most of the time. They came back only at bedtime and went to bed right away.  These cabins come with a door which we could lock at night. This was important given that there were reports of theft on these trains since passengers were allow walking freely from cabins to cabins.
I managed to walk down the train to peep at the other classes.  Our cabins were close to the restaurant and front cabins were really crowded with the locals. There is no bed in those cabins – only tables and chairs but the local made themselves comfortable by preparing games and food to get through the ride. They were friendly when I walked pass too, we tried taking some pictures discreetly and were chased away by the train master. Moving to the back are the 6 bedded cabins – 2 triple-decker beds and I am not sure how to fellow on the top deck got up without bumping his head. Most of the passengers in the 6 bedded cabins are locals too but look more affluent than the ones in the front cabins. The aisle of the train is slightly narrow but not too bad. There are chairs on the aisle and charging points so many folks were reading a book and charging their mobile. The glass panes along the aisle offered good views along the ride too.
 
There is a cabin which serves as a restaurant in the train – there are limited tables which it will be good to get there before dinner time. I did not try the food but some of my tour members did. The food looks presentable (home-cooked style) and they commented that it was rather good. Beside the restaurant, there is also a push trolley that goes down the cabins. They served breakfast; lunch and dinner and these packed- meals were cheap. I cannot remember the exact price but I think it was only about RMB10-15. One of the members bought a packed-rice which came with eggs and meat – looked good though.  I have no recollection if I bought any food from those push-carts since there was no need to given my load of food in my food. I had cup noodles and baked beans which were heavenly to me!  We are able to get hot water from the train directly so it made it easy to make a hot drink.
Nothing is perfect so the main complain that I have about the train are the bathrooms which are disguising. You see human wastes floating and pees on the bathroom seats. It was gross going to the bathroom but I had no choice but to made quick trips to them. The bathrooms in our 1st class cabins were no different and were equally gross. The bathrooms were not restricted by the class so anyone could hop into one of the empty bathrooms. As the day passed, the bathrooms got dirtier and grosser.  The sinks were ok although it got dirtier on the 2nd day morning when I got up to brush my teeth and washed my face – I did a quick one.
The train made several quick stops along the way. I hopped down at some stops but there was almost nothing. They made a longer stop (20-30 minutes) later in the night but it was almost 11pm and I was almost asleep. It was almost freezing so I had no interest to get down from my bed.  I read reviews that many was unable to sleep on the train due to its movement and noise. On the contrary, the movements made me sleep really well. I slept for more than 8 hours and got up at 7.15am which is early for me. I could hear others waking up since 6am!
 
 
We arrived Xining at around 10am and were welcomed by a new lady guide. She was nice and happy but the place we were brought to was boring. It was a tourist attraction known as Danga’er ancient town and we were introduced to another guide there.  This guide was horrible – she was walking and talking really fast. It was obvious that none of us were following her.  Near the end, many of us were taking pictures on our own. She was the most ridiculous tour guide.  I took some pictures there but it was pretty boring. There were several performances – a costume display which was almost lame given that there was no presenter or voice explanation. Few ladies came out in various costumes, posed around, walked around and end of the performance. That was the most “eye-opening” costume show that I have seen. There were a singing performance too – it was ok but not interesting.  After lunch was a visit to a village where we were introduced to the wine-making process and a traditional marriage.
Xining is rather developed – there were shopping malls around the city and within walking distance from our hotel. There is a market near our hotel selling souvenirs and it was a great place to buy things. I bought the ancient horse-riding drinking container as a gift J. Day 9 was a free & easy day where I spent my time strolling around the hotel before departing for the airport at 1pm.
I over-prepared for this trip since this is my first time visiting a place of high altitude. These are the list of items that I brought along – may be too much but I am glad I brought them along:
  • Basic medical supplies – including motion-sickness pills; diarrhea pills and high altitude pills which you have to start taking few days before the accent
  • Food & Snacks – I am a pretty fussy eater since I do not eat most meat and I was worried that I am unable to find suitable food there. Seafood is not common in Tibet. I packed along biscuits; 8 cups noodles & porridges; canned baked beans; nutrition bars cereals and packets of milk. Basically, my luggage was filled with food and snacks and I admit that I over-packed! The food was actually ok since we dine in mostly Chinese restaurants. There were a lot of greens and mushroom and some fish and I was able to fill my stomach. After few days, these dishes became the norm and most people in my tour group were eating less and less. I didn’t manage to consume my 1st cup noodles until day 4 or 5 when I was exhausted and wanted to rest in the room instead.
  • Disposable raincoat – fortunately it did not rain so I did not get to use it.
  • Disposable table sheets– I had intended to lay these sheets on the hotel or train beds in case they are disguising and dirty. Again, I am blessed to stay in clean hotels and tehse sheets were not needed. The soft bedder on the train was clean too but I laid a sheet over just to make myself a little comfortable.
  • Tissues; wet tissues and sanitizer: I am a cleanliness freak (a little ironic given that my bedroom is constantly in a mess) so these are items are important useful to them along the trip. Oh, I brought a roll of toilet paper too which I did not get to use it since all hotels had toilet rolls. The only time that I had to use tissue will be heading to street bathrooms which are simply a drain or hole and you pee/ do your business into it.
  • Sunblock & sunglasses: you need these! The radiation in Tibet is extremely strong given the high altitude. The weather is very cool so you cannot feel that the heat so it is important to apply the sunblock frequently.
  • Warm jackets:  The temperature was around 15 degrees Celsius in the month of April so I did not bring along much warm clothing except for a warmer. I brought only an additional pants; tee-shirts for change; pajamas only. There are nights where the temperature dipped to only 5 degrees and I was freezing. I should have brought more clothes than food!
  • Camera: Sadly (very sadly), my camera’s lens were exposed and I could not take any pictures using it during my entire trip. I was very upset but I am glad that I had my mini ipad which I snapped numerous pictures with. The resolution was no good compared to my camera but at least I captured the moments. Important lesson learn: do not assume that your camera is in good working conditions. Good practice to check the condition; charge it fully; change batteries (bring along extra ones) before a trip like this.
  • Chargers: Travelling with 2 iphones; an ipad and a faulty camera, chargers and travel adapters were extremely important to me. Just check to make sure that you have them. It will be a hassle not having these during a trip in places like Tibet.

Others:
  • Wifi:  Internet access was readily available in most hotels that I stayed in except for one.  To me, it is a good that wifi is not available at all the attractions, so it is good to keep away your devices and enjoy the beautiful place!
  • Travel insurance: It is important to purchase travel insurance for every trip, particularly to places like Tibet.  I usually have my insurance policies stored in my iphone but I think it is a good practice to have a hard copy by your side in case of emergencies.

No comments:

Post a Comment