Labels

Best seats on a plane?

Most travelers, including myself, are quite particular about seats selection on the plane (thought I know of many who do not care at all). Personally, I'm an aisle seat passenger because the extra leg space is extremely important to me!

Where are the best seats anyway?

Middle seats should be out:

Most regular flights allow you to select the seats during reservation. For budget airlines, if you are fine with the additional charges, you should choose to select your seats too especially if you are on a flight for more than 3 hours. Try to avoid the middle seat for the obvious reason if you are travelling alone - why would you want to be stuck in between two strangers? Even if you are assigned a middle seat during reservation, you still have the chance to change it during your online check-in (opens 24-48 hours before flight). Online check in is always recommended since that will confirm your ticket in case the plane is over-booked and you can confirm or change your seats. Rule #1: no middle seat unless you know the passengers beside you.

Aisle or window:

Now that middle seat is out, you have a choice between window and aisle. Aisle is good for the extra legs space and to step out whenever you need - but aisle will mean that you have to step out whenever your window passenger needs to visit the bathroom (even when you are sleeping!). Window is great with the view especially when taking off or landing; it is also good to take a nap with no disturbance. However, window seat would mean that you have to wake the passenger up whenever you need to take a pee every 15 minutes or hop over that sound-asleep passenger. Window will also mean that you have to mange those windows- putting them down when the flight is in the air and when the sun gets too bright; and putting them up when the flight is landing. No big deal with those windows but it does get irritating when you get ordered by the aisle or middle passengers to put down those shades and ordered by the stewardness to put them up- especially when you are trying to take a nap during a short flight! Personally, I like the aisle seat on a short-haul flight, but I prefer to take a window seat with minimal disturbance during a long-haul flight of more than 15hours- I rather be managing the windows and hopping over the sleeping passenger next to me as compared to waking up every hour to let my window seat passenger go to the bathroom! Aisle or window?you choose!

Front or back seats:

Front seats are great since it will mean that you get to settle down faster or be one of the first to get down the plane. However, front seats will also mean being nearer to the family seats. If you do not mind a kicking or crying child, you will be good. If you prefer peace, higher chances of you enjoying that will be the back seats as compared to the front:)

In front or behind the bathrooms;

Oh, it's probably an advantage and disadvantage to get a seat really close to the bathroom. Plus point will be rushing to one when its urgent or avoiding the queue whenever you see one forming (hmmm..I guess). I don't see any benefits sitting close to the bathrooms  though since I can always see the signage infront of the plane that tells me if a cubicle is available. I could also easily turned my head to see if one is available? :p. Most importantly, I dislike the flushing sound that goes on and on during my flight! Even with the entertainment system, I could still hear the flushing. Since I am an aisle seat person, I feel uncomfortable with the queue standing very close to me or some even leaning almost on me! I had also encountered some who could not stand still and kept tapping their fingers on my seat or swinging their arms (hitting me of course) until they get into the bathroom. Rule #2: no seat near the bathroom:) 

Next to the emergency exit: 

Some passengers only want to have the seats next to the emergency exit because of the additional leg space. However, sitting next to one comes with a heavier responsibilities during an emergency. You will often hear the announcement that those seated beside the exit shall be briefed by the crews so that they will understand the responsibilities and can choose to change the seats if they want. Basically, those seated next to the exit are responsible for opening those doors during an emergency. Sitting there will get you the extra leg space but do understand that it comes with a responsibility too. If you think you can't manage the door, please avoid taking a seat there. Safety comes first on the plane or anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment